Art in the Open Philadelphia, May 16-18, 2014
Art in the Open (AiO) is a citywide event that celebrates artists, their inspirations for creating art, and their relationships with the urban environment. Art in the Open debuted in June 2010, bringing a jury-selected group of artists to the Schuylkill Banks - from the historic Fairmount Water Works to Bartram's Garden - to inspire new ways of seeing the river and the city it runs through. Each Spring, a new group of artists is chosen to for a three day event, creating new works of art outside, in a creative process open to everyone.
Partnering civic and cultural organizations throughout Philadelphia also offer extensive opportunities for public engagement with the event, showcasing the vibrant community of working artists, galleries and institutions that make Philadelphia a major Urban Art Center, and its two rivers: waterways which continue to inspire creative response and also serve as an ecologically critical lifeline for its residents.
SAVE THE DATE: AiO 2014 will take place May 16-18. Artists interested in participating in AiO 2014 are encouraged to click here to learn more or submit a proposal. We look forward to welcoming new and returning participants, partners, visitors and volunteers to the Schuylkill Banks in May!
Illustration: Work by Harry Bower, Art in the Open 2012. Photo © Karen Jenkins
Please click on the below link for a complete list of past participating artists.
Illustration: Work by Mat Tomezko, Art in the Open 2012. Photo © Mary Foley
Download: aio_artists_2010-2012.pdf (35.6 KB)
Friday May 16, 2014
Art in the Open (AiO) is a citywide event that celebrates artists, their inspirations for creating art, and their relationships with Philadelphia's urban environment ...
Art in the Open Partners
- City of Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation
- City of Philadelphia Office of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy
- Schuylkill Banks
- Albert M. Greenfield School
- Art in City Hall
- Bartram's Garden
- Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
- Center City Residents' Association
- City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
- City Parks Association (CPA)
- Fairmount Park Art Association
- Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center (FWWIC)
- Fleisher Art Memorial
- Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- Independence Seaport Museum
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Museum Without Walls
- Painted Bride Art Center
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Philadelphia Arts in Education Partnership
- Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA)
- Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- Science Leadership Academy
- South of South Neighborhood Association
- Spiral Q Puppet Theater
- The Center for Emerging Visual Artists (CFEVA)
- The Gershman Y
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of the Arts (UArts)